Digital Media

 


Digital media in classrooms is not yet a requirement but another tool for educators to have in their arsenal of potential options to get information across. Digital pedagogy uses electronic elements to enhance the experience of education and as Brian Croxall suggests, ICT in lessons is to be integral, not just integrated. I would agree mostly with that statement, other than like most of this university degree, it appears a one size fits all for all subject strands offered in the Education (Secondary) degree. For my chosen field of ITD (Industrial Technology and Design) I still can only see how certain digital application can assist in lessons. As I have mentioned in a prior blog (bit of free advertising for my own blog, which isn’t great, but I thought I’d show how the “shout out” can be done - https://jimithy.blogspot.com/) the application possibilities are limited.

Over the past 3 or so weeks I have found how many possible digital applications there are, and most likely only scratched the surface of the sheer quantity that can be utilised. Using these forms can help assist the way students learn and the way teachers put forward the information. Instead of being responsible for the knowledge been given is now seen as a facilitator. Students all learn differently and using digital media can assist covering the many different ways. Kinaesthetic, Auditory and Visual are the three ways in which individuals can take on and consume information and knowledge. Kinaesthetic is learning by doing and touching, Auditory is learning by hearing and listening, and Visual is learning by seeing and looking. Some students can learn in all three, some will learn with a mix and others may learn with just one of the three. These applications also make the subject matter accessible and greatly assist to make it more engaging for all students.

Personally, I was always a visual learner. If I could view someone doing something I would find it a great deal easier to complete that given task. A few possibilities within my teachings and/or demonstrations will be YouTube, TED talks, Google Images, BING (depending on your computer) and heaven forbid another pandemic, Zoom. It must be noted, that when the teacher facilitates information, it should be a requirement that they also demonstrate the proper use of legal, safe and ethical protocols when it comes to digital media and how it should be used. Eliminating plagiarism and copyrighting within a secondary student’s work can assist them in how they use digital media within education in the future. These are not so much for copyrighting or potential lawsuits, but for future education and plagiarism.

Question - Considering the attention spans and engagement of Students, which of the below presentations would you consider to be hold the attention span of more?

- Workshop Safety Rules Sign

 

B - Health and safety in workshops

 

 SMAR – Understanding Safety Assignment

Substitution – Teachers can demonstrate via Video or images, a number of different methods or options of safety rather than have to demonstrate or verbally discuss. This can lead to greater effectiveness of the information.

Augmentation – Proof of students work via photos or videos. These visuals can be captured on school iPads to minimise personal phone “issues”.

Modification – The students can add annotations, edit pictures, add labels and sound to visuals to demonstrate a deeper understanding.

Redefinition – Continual editing, addition and subtraction to students own work after communicating with Teacher. Have the possibility to gain a greater grade.


References

Brian Croxall: What is Digital Pedagogy? - http://www.briancroxall.net/digitalpedagogy/what-is-digital-pedagogy/ 

The 3 Main Learning Styles - https://www.staffordglobal.org/articles-and-blogs/education-articles-and-blogs/3-main-learning-styles/  

Workshop safety rules sign – https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/safety-rules-for-workshop-food-room-science-11849036

Health and safety in workshops (Video) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhbru2LKtdg

Comments

  1. Hi Jim,
    I really liked reading your well explained blog post! I like your approach use of video for ITD. Your SAMR model was really easy to follow and pertains to ITD and other design areas. As a visual learner myself I believe safety videos are a great way to get the message across without boring the students.
    Looking forward to reading next weeks post!
    Kind regards,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jim,

    Thanks for your blog post! I agree, everyone learns in such different ways and I most definitely am a visual learner. To understand content, I always turn to viewing videos on YouTube before I even try to comprehend it from text.

    In saying that, I would think A would keep my attention longer. It may come from experience watching safety videos - I have always found them very bland and the information incredibly obvious. So I think I'd prefer to skim through the poster before watching the entire video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jim,
    I thoroughly enjoyed your blog, lots of great information. I particularly liked the way that you aligned digital media with the different learning styles, I haven't seen this be done yet and found it very interesting. Have you considered then applying this to the SAMR model? I feel as though the cross examination of these topics would be a great expansion of the information in this blog, just a suggestion, food for thought! I also feel as though the question that you have posed is very interesting! Personally, I find 'A' more engaging, as I have a tendency to drift off during videos, whereas for the image I am forced to explore it in order to develop an understanding. This is something that I have seen in my prac with a year 11 class who were working on safety. If I put up an image and got them to diagnose, they were far more engaged than if I played a video. However, if I played the video and also started and stopped it to ask questions and create discussion, or gave them a set of questions to answer as they watched, attention would peak! Perhaps exploring some of these topics would further elevate the evaluation of images versus videos in your blog. Overall, a great read and very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts